God, Tremors and I















It was around 2:30 in the night, that my brother woke me and my sister, saying there had already been three tremors! We woke up, propped up against the bed to listen to his version of the story and jovially pulled his leg on how quick he had been in waking us up!

A few minutes later, drowsiness caught up with us and we slunk into our cozy blankets. But i couldn’t sleep. I reflected, i had spent the entire day worrying about the future and had slept troubled. And now, the temporariness of life stared me in the face. I was forced to acknowledge that, the many plans i have, dreams i weave, could just have disappeared with me should the earth have given away.

There i saw, how vain it is to fret over ones future, how easy it is to worry for the tomorrow which one has no say over. How equally easy on the other hand, it is to leave your worries and anxieties in the hands of Him who loves and cares for you.

I saw the fragility of human life, the utter pride with which i lead my life; as if the next day is rightfully mine. And there i paused.

Paused to give thanks for the countless blessings i had forgotten to enjoy. Paused, to give thanks to Him who knows my tomorrow. Paused, to give up those worries.

Paused. Thanked. Rested. Rested well.

It was only the next day, that I came to know the epicenter of the tremors was hardly 3 kilometers away!

Perhaps no one in Delhi gave the tremors a thought, perhaps some did. For concrete reasons, i conclude the tremors were just for me. To shake off that pride, dent the ownership I assume on my tomorrow, and bring an end to the needless bout of worries.

I am grateful to have learnt this lesson while still on my bed, snugly tucked in, and not when buried a hundred feet beneath the rubble!








Popular Posts