NOISY SILENCE

Shh..stop wailing son
They will come and get you too
But where’s my father ma?
Shh..he’s in a place safer than you

When did he go ma?
Shh.. when you were just one
But where did he go ma?
Shh..they will come for you too!

Why the silence son?
Son, why the mum?
I beg you speak
Just not question

Could I speak mom?
When questions roll off my tongue?
Don’t quiet me ma
I need to know

Wish you had never grown to know
But what is that ails you
That my words could heal?
What is that you want?

Shh..ma listen now
Where find I my father now?
The hard palm that touched my cheek?
The man whose face I first saw?

Obstinate you are boy
Too naïve and soft
Much like your father
You believe all men good

Shh.. now I can’t bear to tell
Yet you beg to listen
He’s gone down to the dead
Yes he’s gone down to the dead

Where find I him in the dead ma?
Where find I him?
Shh..  My son
You’ll find him beside a cow
********
(Inspired by a true story reported in the Indian Express on 8.8.2016)
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/cow-vigilantes-dalits-flogged-in-una-gujarat-dalit-protests-dalits-thrashed-2960562/

Popular Posts